. .

Request Information

Would you like information on our Certification and Education programs?

To access our online Request Form: click here

Visit our Web Site

AIHCP.ORG

access here

Grief Counseling Articles & Discussion

AIHCP Magazine, Articles, Discussions

Access Archive Posts

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 76 other subscribers

case management

Last Tweets

Health Coaching: When Diet Medicine Goes Wrong

A bunch of pills on a spoon

Is this something you really want to take to lose weight?

Health Coaching professionals most of the time are not doctors.   Doctors prescribe medicine that helps with a condition.   Health care coaches “prescribe” lifestyle changes.  For the most part doctors know what they are talking about.   There are, however, cases where diet doctors do more harm than good.   Sometimes doctors will have their patients take medication that suppresses appetite and raises blood pressure.   This is counter-productive.   Exchanging one bad for another is not the way to a healthy lifestyle.   Only through positive dietary changes and an exercise routine that works for you can you achieve your weight loss goals.   For more on how “Diet Doctors” can cause more harm than good please read this article.

By Hallie Levine Sklar
From Health.com

Diet Doctors not the Best Medicine?

The weight-loss field is particularly vulnerable to exploitation because there are so many people struggling to shed pounds who don’t know where else to turn. An estimated 68 percent of adults in the United States are either overweight or obese, yet medicine doesn’t have much to offer in the way of help; there are very few effective nonsurgical weight-loss therapies. Diet and exercise are the foundation of any successful weight-loss plan, but for many, even those don’t work. “In the long run, lifestyle modifications lead to substantial, lasting weight loss in 2 or 3 percent of people with obesity,” says Lee Kaplan, MD, PhD, director of the Massachusetts General Hospital Weight Center in Boston. “That’s pretty frustrating for the remaining 97 percent. It’s like having incurable cancer—people will seek any new opportunity for treatment.”

For the full article please go here.

For actual safe weight loss health coaching and good doctors alike suggest changing your lifestyle to a healthier one.   Of course, this is not as easy as it sounds.    Like they say though, something worth doing should not be easy.

A man exhausted on the tennis court

If working out and proper diet was easy, everyone would do it!

If you are interested in becoming a certified health care coach then you should visit our webpage.

 

 

Comments are closed.

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.