HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Have questions? Join us on "live chat" online now! One of our advisors will be happy to assist you and respond to your questions: Access Now
AIHCP BLOG: Please visit our interactive web blog. Here you will find frequently added information on our programs, articles and news by practice speciality, and much more. Register and become a part of our professional health care community.
HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY BLOG: Please visit our Health Information Technology interactive web blog. Our blog contains articles, news, events and information related the Healthcare IT field.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. offers a comprehensive, quality, Certification program for qualified health care professionals. This certification focuses on the validation of the attainment of advanced continuing education related to health care information systems, including the digital medical record, privacy laws and standards, and contemporary issues for meeting health reform mandates and future challenges. This program is open only to health care professionals who are currently licensed to practice in their state or country, or other candidates who can verify two or more years of practice experience directly related to health care information technologies.
AIHCP, Inc. offers three sub-specialty programs in Health Information Technology:
Behavioral Health Care Specialty (open for enrollment)
Health Care Information Technology Specialty (OPEN FOR ENROLLMENT)
Nursing Information technology Specialty (available soon)
objectives of the health care information technology SPECIALIST certification Program are:
Provide a high quality program of Certification for qualified health care professionals and qualified candidates who have current experiences in health care information technologies.
Develop and support high standards of education and practice requirements for the attainment of certification.
Provide a mechanism for the ongoing involvement of a peer advisory board of qualified professionals to oversee program development and requirements for certification.
Provide society with a mechanism to ascertain the appropriate education, skills, knowledge and experience required by professionals who offer such services.
Establish quality standards and requirements for the recertification of its credentialed members, attesting to ongoing education and skill attainment in the practice specialty of health care information technologies.
Provide a comprehensive program of approvals for continuing education, seminars, offerings, independent study, and other related educational activities, to ensure high quality standards are met and that such programs are of value to professionals practicing in and with health care information systems and technologies.
Certified Specialist in Health Care Information Technology- requires attainment of the following certification criteria:
- Completion of an official, established education program to prepare qualified candidates who meet a pre-requisite, for the practice of health care information systems technology .
- Candidates for the Certification must successfully complete at least one of the three specialty continuing education programs provided by The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. Completion of the required education courses qualifies the educational component necessary to apply for Certification. Each specialty program has its own number of contact hours of continuing education.
Candidates elect one of the following programs for their initial certification in Health Care Information Technology.
You may access the following links to preview the education programs for each of the three specialty programs.
Behavioral Health Care Information Technology Specialty: access here
Health Care Information Technology Specialty: access here
- Requisite for all Applicants for Certification: in addition to meeting the educational criteria as provided above, applicants for Certification must hold a current/valid license to practice their health care profession. Candidates who can verify current experiences in positions working in health care organizations with specific roles in health care information systems or technologies may be accepted. One of the following prerequisites are required to enter this program: Candidates must be: a registered nurse, a physician, a counselor, a psychologist, an IT Professional, a social worker, a health care educator, a health care manager, a case manager, a health care management professional, holds a college level degree in IT, holds a college level degree in health sciences management or education.
Certification- Identification & Credentials
Those applicants who become certified by the AIHCP in Health Care Information may use the initials/credential "HCIT-CS" after their names:
"Certified Specialist in Health Care Information Technology "
The certified professional's sub-specialty will also be provided on all certification documents.
Once a candidate achieves the certification status of "Certified Specialist in Health Care Technology, " they are qualified to enroll in another "sub-specialty" program in Health Care Information Technology. Successful completion of an additional sub-specialty program will provide for an additional sub-specialty certification by the AIHCP, Inc.
THE CERTIFICATION PROCESS: We have a dedicated page that provides a quick over-view of our certification process. It will provide you with good information about the process/phases of both the education courses and application for certification. To access: click here
All certifications shall be for a period of 4 years from the date of the initial certification.
Certified members may receive recertification at the expiration of their four-year term by:
- Obtaining 60 or more hours of continuing education within the four year period of certification. Click here: Criteria for Recertification
Those applicants who have successfully achieved certification, or recertification receive a large size official Certificate attesting to certification, as well as an official letter of notification. The certificate is suitable for framing and details the official professional certification title, initials that may be used, and time frames for certification. Those recertifying receive a new, updated certificate. Wallet size identification cards of certification are also presented.
- The certification fee for the Health Care Information Technology Specialist is $200.00 for the four- year term of certification. Payment in full is due at the time of application. If an applicant does not meet certification criteria, the application fee is refunded. A completed application must be mailed in to the with full payment to be considered for certification. Application is available on this website.
- Application for Recertification is $ 200.00 for the next four-year period. This is a one time payment and is required in full at the time of application for recertification. A completed application must accompany the payment.
- Major credit cards are accepted. Check and money orders are to be payable to : The American Institute of Health Care Professionals.
Education Programs for Recertification
Applicants may obtain education hours by completion of any type of formal program in specifically related to Health Care Information Technology. Such programs include:
- University/College Programs and Courses
- Continuing Education Courses
- Distance Learning Programs
- Self-Study Programs
- Courses offered by Professional Associations
- All continuing education courses designed for the Subspecialty Certification programs, as above, maybe used to meet the requirements for recertification for the Health Care Information Technology Re-Certification.
The AIHCP reserves the right to approve all such courses for consideration toward re-certification. For any courses to be considered, applicants must submit copies of all certificates of completion or transcripts verifying completion. Applicants who are using their degrees to meet partial fulfillment of the education requirements for certification must have official transcripts submitted from their University or College, directly to the AIHCP.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, provides a "Fellowship Program" for its certified members in Health Care Information Technology. Access Information.
Click here for the online application. Please print application and postal mail.