Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: Theory & Consulting I
AIHCP BLOG: Please visit our interactive web blog. Here you will find frequently added information on our programs, articles and news by practice speciality, and much more. Register and become a part of our professional health care community.
This online continuing education course provides a comprehensive overview of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in adults. Students will learn the difficulties and challenges that an adult faces with ADHD. Students will understand information processing difficulties and the effect that ADHD has on daily functioning . Progression in the course then focuses on applying effective coping and management skills to help alleviate symptoms of attention deficit. An in depth exploration of interventions is provided.
Participants will learn the best tools available to help diagnose ADHD in adults and understand co-morbid conditions that often come along with this disorder. An exploration of the four stages of adjusting to this disorder will also be discussed in this course. Students will learn organizational skills and tools of technology to help an adult with this disorder get organized with their life. This course will also cover ways to help an adult achieve and set attainable goals. Course Code: AD 510. Contact hours of education = 45.
Pre-requisite: you must have successfully completed AD 500 "Foundations of Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Consulting, before registering for this CE Course.
This course is specifically designed for those qualifying professionals who are studying to meet the education requirements for application for certification as a Certified Attention Deficit Consultant , by the American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. For Certification Information: access here.
BOARD APPROVALS: AIHCP is an approved provider of continuing education by the Florida Board of Nursing and the District of Columbia Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975. The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. is a licensed Continuing Education Provider in the State of California, Board of Registered Nursing, Provider # CEP 15595. Access information
Instructor/Course Author: Helen Nieves, MA, MHC, CCBGT, CRS, SMC-C
Link to Resume
TIME FRAME:You are allotted two years from the date of enrollment, to complete all of the required courses in this specialty program. There are no set time-frames, other than the two year allotted time. If you do not complete the course within the two-year time-frame, you will be removed from the course and an "incomplete" will be recorded for you in our records. Also, if you would like to complete the course after this two-year expiration time, you would need to register and pay the course tuition fee again.
More Attention Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD by Ari Tuckman. United States of America, 2009. ISBN-13: 978-1-886941-74-8; ISBN-10: 1-886941-74-2
You are required to order your own copy of the textbook. Please be sure to order your book as soon as possible so that you can begin your course of study.
AIHCP Online Bookstore: AIHCP provides an online bookstore stocked with all of the required textbooks, and/or materials required for its CE courses. To purchase this book online, click the access store link, go to the table of categories, right upper hand corner, and click on "Attention Deficit Consulting ." Access AIHCP Store: click here
GRADING: You must achieve a passing score of at least 70% to complete this course and receive the 45 hours of awarded continuing education credit. There are no letter grades assigned. You will receive notice of your total % score. Those who score below the minimum of 70% will be contacted by us and options for completing additional course work to achieve a passing score, will be presented.
ONLINE COMMUNITY MESSAGE BOARDS: Enrolled students have full access to our online Student Community Message Boards. These message boards allow students in our CE courses to meet each other, communicate online, share information, discuss topics of study and interest and much more. Full access is provided via the online classroom.
Online Classroom Resouces and Tools
* Message Boards: each specialty program has an area to "post" on the message board. Students may post messages at anytime. Posting allows students to converse with those in the same specialty practice and to discuss issues/course content etc. Instructions for posting are provided in the online classrooms.
* Chat Rooms: each specialty has it's own unique "chat room." Inside of the classroom there is a schedule for "chat time" with students in your specific specialty practice. Participating in "chats" is voluntary. The chat sessions are used as means for students to come together and discuss course content or anything related to the courses and/or certification specialty.
* Examination Access: there is link to take you right to the online examination program where you can print out your examination and work with it. All examinations are formatted as "open book" tests. When you are ready, you can access the exam program at anytime and click in your responses to the questions. Full information is provided in the online classrooms.
* Student Resource Center: there is a link for access to a web page "Student Resource Center." The Resource Center provides for easy access to all of our policies/procedures and additional information regarding applying for certification. We also have many links to many outside reference sites, such as online libraries that you may freely access.
* Online Evaluation: there is a link in the classroom where you may access the course evaluation. All students completing a course, must, without exception, complete the course evaluation.
* Faculty Access Information: you will have access to your instructor's online resume/biography, as well as your instructor's specific contact information.
* Additional Learning Materials: some faculty have prepared additional "readings" and /or brief lecture notes to enhance your experience. All of these are available in the online classrooms.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
1).Understand ADHD in Adults
2). Understand information processing difficulties in adults with ADHD
3). Understand the neurological component of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
4). Identify the diagnostic criteria for attention deficit disorder in adults
5). Understand how ADHD affects one's life
6). Understand weaknesses in executive functions
7). Explore the response inhibition
8). Understand how working memory impacts people with ADHD
9). Apply steps towards accurate diagnosing
10). Identify co-morbid conditions found in ADHD
11.) Identify assessment instruments and its benefits
12.) Understand the many facets of attention
13.) Understand the causes of ADHD
14.) Identify what doesn't cause ADHD
15). Identify the effects ADHD has on daily functioning
16). Apply and learn effective money management skills for adults with ADHD
17). Identify unhelpful coping strategies and defense mechanisms that adults with ADHD use
18). Identify commonly used stimulants and its side effects
19). Understand how psychotherapy and coaching can benefit adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
20), Identify nontraditional treatments for ADHD
21). Understand how attention deficit disorder can affect self esteem
22). Apply memory and time management techniques to individuals with attention deficit disorder
23) Identify ways to restore balance in relationships
24) Four stages of adjusting to ADHD
A brief abstract of content:
1). Understanding attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
2). Executive functioning
3). Money management in adults with ADHD
4). Steps towards diagnosing
5). Nontraditional treatment for ADHD
6). Medication management.
7). Neurology of attention deficit disorder
8). Non medical treatment providers for attention deficit disorder
9). Building a healthy self esteem in adults with ADHD
10) Memory management
11) Time management
12) Organizational skills
13) Striving for balance in relationship and friendships