Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: Theory & Consulting II
AIHCP BLOG: Please visit our interactive web blog. Here you will find frequently added information on our programs, articles and news by practice speciality, and much more. Register and become a part of our professional health care community.
This course continues in the study of practice in Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder consulting. It provides for comprehensive learning of more of the current principles and practices of attention deficit in teenagers today. Students undertake an in depth study of the role, responsibilities, and practice options of a professional certified as an attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder consultant. This course provides a major emphasis on various types of interventions that professionals consult on, including theory, practice and application for consulting. With the latest research, this course contains an immense amount of information and expertise about ADHD, including behavior issues, legal rights, school and academics, coexisting conditions, medication and life after high school. This course is a great resource for professionals who work with adolescents with ADD or ADHD. Course Code: AD 520. Contact hours of continuing education = 45.
Pre-requisite: you must have successfully completed AD 500 "Foundations of Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Consulting" and AD 510 "Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: Theory & Consulting I, before registering for this CE Course.
This course is specifically designed for those qualifying professionals who are studying to meet the education requirements for application for certification as a Certified Attention Deficit Consultant , by the American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. For Certification Information: access here.
BOARD APPROVALS: AIHCP is an approved provider of continuing education by the Florida Board of Nursing and the District of Columbia Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975. The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. is a licensed Continuing Education Provider in the State of California, Board of Registered Nursing, Provider # CEP 15595. Access information
Instructor/Course Author: Helen Nieves, MA, MHC, CCBGT, CRS, SMC-C
Link to Resume
TIME FRAME:You are allotted two years from the date of enrollment, to complete all of the required courses in this specialty program. There are no set time-frames, other than the two year allotted time. If you do not complete the course within the two-year time-frame, you will be removed from the course and an "incomplete" will be recorded for you in our records. Also, if you would like to complete the course after this two-year expiration time, you would need to register and pay the course tuition fee again.
Teenagers with ADD and ADHD: A guide for parents and Professionals. Second Edition by Chris A. Zeigler Dendy. Woodbine House, 2006. ISBN-13: 978-1-890627-31-7; ISBN-10: 1-890627-31-3
You are required to order your own copy of the textbook. Please be sure to order your book as soon as possible so that you can begin your course of study.
AIHCP Online Bookstore: AIHCP provides an online bookstore stocked with all of the required textbooks, and/or materials required for its CE courses. To purchase this book online, click the access store link, go to the table of categories, right upper hand corner, and click on "Attention Deficit Consulting ." Access AIHCP Store: click here
GRADING: You must achieve a passing score of at least 70% to complete this course and receive the 45 hours of awarded continuing education credit. There are no letter grades assigned. You will receive notice of your total % score. Those who score below the minimum of 70% will be contacted by us and options for completing additional course work to achieve a passing score, will be presented.
ONLINE COMMUNITY MESSAGE BOARDS: Enrolled students have full access to our online Student Community Message Boards. These message boards allow students in our CE courses to meet each other, communicate online, share information, discuss topics of study and interest and much more. Full access is provided via the online classroom.
Online Classroom Resouces and Tools
* Message Boards: each specialty program has an area to "post" on the message board. Students may post messages at anytime. Posting allows students to converse with those in the same specialty practice and to discuss issues/course content etc. Instructions for posting are provided in the online classrooms.
* Chat Rooms: each specialty has it's own unique "chat room." Inside of the classroom there is a schedule for "chat time" with students in your specific specialty practice. Participating in "chats" is voluntary. The chat sessions are used as means for students to come together and discuss course content or anything related to the courses and/or certification specialty.
* Examination Access: there is link to take you right to the online examination program where you can print out your examination and work with it. All examinations are formatted as "open book" tests. When you are ready, you can access the exam program at anytime and click in your responses to the questions. Full information is provided in the online classrooms.
* Student Resource Center: there is a link for access to a web page "Student Resource Center." The Resource Center provides for easy access to all of our policies/procedures and additional information regarding applying for certification. We also have many links to many outside reference sites, such as online libraries that you may freely access.
* Online Evaluation: there is a link in the classroom where you may access the course evaluation. All students completing a course, must, without exception, complete the course evaluation.
* Faculty Access Information: you will have access to your instructor's online resume/biography, as well as your instructor's specific contact information.
* Additional Learning Materials: some faculty have prepared additional "readings" and /or brief lecture notes to enhance your experience. All of these are available in the online classrooms.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
1). Explore the basics of inattention, impulsivity and hyperactivity
2). Understand how to manage common behavior such as arguing and talking back, sleep issues, tardiness and other maladaptive behaviors
3). Explore the common learning problems and challenges at school
4). Explore the role of brain chemicals in ADD and ADHD
5). Explore the components of a comprehensive diagnostic evaluation in teenagers with ADD or ADHD
6). Explore the emotional impact of ADD or ADHD
7). Identify coexisting conditions in ADD or ADHD and apply treatment strategies
8). Explore guiding principles for parent/teenager interactions
9). Identify the unique challenges of ADHD versus ADD inattentive
10). Explore the common behaviors of teenagers with ADD and ADHD and possible interventions
11). Explore and learn ways to eliminate academic agony
12).Apply strategies for strengthening deficits
13). Understand the legal rights for students with ADD or ADHD
14.) Explore how neurotransmitters affect behavior
15). Understand the difference between stimulant and non-stimulant medications and their effectiveness
16). Explore the educational opportunities a teenager with ADD or ADHD has after high school
17). Understand ADD/ADHD in teenagers
18). Understand the complexities of ADD and ADHD
19).Explore the common myths of ADD and ADHD
1). Defining attention deficit disorder in teenagers
2). Understanding ADD/ADHD and the brain
3). Diagnosis of ADD or ADHD in teenagers
4). Emotional impact of ADD or ADHD
5). Unique challenges of treating teenagers with attention disorders
6). Attention disorders and coexisting conditions
7). Strategies for parent/teenager interactions
8). Common behaviors of teenagers with ADD and ADHD
9). Strategies for eliminating academic agony
10) Strategies for strengthening learning problems and language deficits
11) Understanding legal rights for pursuing academic success
12) Educational opportunities and career choices for teenagers with ADD and ADHD