Alternative Treatments in Attention Deficit Disorder & Hyperactivity Cases
AIHCP BLOG: Please visit our interactive web blog. Here you will find frequently added information on our programs, articles and news by practice speciality, and much more. Register and become a part of our professional health care community.
This online continuing education course provides a comprehensive overview of alternative treatments to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Students will learn natural alternatives and practical exercises to help children focus and cope with their disorder by strengthening brain functioning. This course will help students explore ways to help improve learning and behavior effectively without medications. An overview of seven learning styles that will help to lessen the symptoms of ADHD will also be explored in this online course. Participants will learn what foods affects a child's behavior, and what foods children with ADHD should eat and avoid. Students will learn how to manage the diet of an ADHD individual, the challenges that they may face, and a step-by-step guide to starting the diet. Course Code: AD 540. Contact hours of continuing education = 30.
Pre-requisite: you must have successfully completed AD 500 "Foundations of Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Consulting" and AD 510 "Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: Theory & Consulting I, and AD 520 "Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Theory & Consulting II, before registering for this CE Course.
This course is specifically designed for those qualifying professionals who are studying to meet the education requirements for application for certification as a Certified Attention Deficit Consultant , by the American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. For Certification Information: access here.
BOARD APPROVALS: AIHCP is an approved provider of continuing education by the Florida Board of Nursing and the District of Columbia Board of Nursing. CE Provider # 50-11975. The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. is a licensed Continuing Education Provider in the State of California, Board of Registered Nursing, Provider # CEP 15595. Access information
This course is also approved by the Florida Office of School Psychology for 40 contact hours of continuing education.
Instructor/Course Author: Helen Nieves, MA, MHC, CCBGT, CRS, SMC-C
Link to Resume
TIME FRAME:You are allotted two years from the date of enrollment,
to complete all of the required courses in this specialty program. There are no set time-frames, other
than the two year allotted time. If you do not complete the course
within the two-year time-frame, you will be removed from the
course and an "incomplete" will be recorded for you
in our records. Also, if you would like to complete the course
after this two-year expiration time, you would need to register
and pay the course tuition fee again.
There are two (2) required textbook for this course:
ADD/ADHD Drug Free: Natural Alternatives and Practical Exercises to Help Your Child Focus by Frank Jacobelli and L.A Watson, USA 2008. ISBN-13: 978-0-8144-0094-4.
Fed Up With ADHD: How Food Affects Children and What You Can do about It by Sue Dengate. Random House Australia, 2004. ISBN: 1-74051-230-8
You are required to order your own copies of the textbooks. Please be sure to order your book as soon as possible so that you can begin your course of study.
AIHCP Online Bookstore: AIHCP provides an online bookstore stocked with all of the required textbooks, and/or materials required for its CE courses. To purchase this book online, click the access store link, go to the table of categories, right upper hand corner, and click on "Attention Deficit Consulting ." Access AIHCP Store: click here
GRADING: You must achieve a passing score of at least 70% to complete this course and receive the 45 hours of awarded continuing education credit. There are no letter grades assigned. You will receive notice of your total % score. Those who score below the minimum of 70% will be contacted by us and options for completing additional course work to achieve a passing score, will be presented.
ONLINE COMMUNITY MESSAGE BOARDS: Enrolled students have full access to our online Student Community Message Boards. These message boards allow students in our CE courses to meet each other, communicate online, share information, discuss topics of study and interest and much more. Full access is provided via the online classroom.
Online Classroom Resouces and Tools
* Message Boards: each specialty program has an area to "post" on the message board. Students may post messages at anytime. Posting allows students to converse with those in the same specialty practice and to discuss issues/course content etc. Instructions for posting are provided in the online classrooms.
* Chat Rooms: each specialty has it's own unique "chat room." Inside of the classroom there is a schedule for "chat time" with students in your specific specialty practice. Participating in "chats" is voluntary. The chat sessions are used as means for students to come together and discuss course content or anything related to the courses and/or certification specialty.
* Examination Access: there is link to take you right to the online examination program where you can print out your examination and work with it. All examinations are formatted as "open book" tests. When you are ready, you can access the exam program at anytime and click in your responses to the questions. Full information is provided in the online classrooms.
* Student Resource Center: there is a link for access to a web page "Student Resource Center." The Resource Center provides for easy access to all of our policies/procedures and additional information regarding applying for certification. We also have many links to many outside reference sites, such as online libraries that you may freely access.
* Online Evaluation: there is a link in the classroom where you may access the course evaluation. All students completing a course, must, without exception, complete the course evaluation.
* Faculty Access Information: you will have access to your instructor's online resume/biography, as well as your instructor's specific contact information.
* Additional Learning Materials: some faculty have prepared additional "readings" and /or brief lecture notes to enhance your experience. All of these are available in the online classrooms.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
1). Understand how food affects behavior
2) Identify which foods to eat and which to avoid
3).Identify which food additives to avoid
4). Understand what the failsafe diet is and how it can help improve ADHD symptoms
5). Identify and understand the challenges a child may face when starting the elimination diet
6). Identify ways to manage the diet
7). Understand an overview of the seven learning styles to help improve symptoms
8). Understand the do's and don'ts of coping with ADHD
9). Understand what secondary post traumatic stress disorder is
10). Understand how to deal with a challenging child and avoiding traps
11). Use practical brain exercising activities to help strengthen brain functioning
A brief abstract of content:
1). How food affects children's behavior
2). How food can worsen symptoms of ADHD
3). Which food additives to avoid
4). Learn about the failsafe diet and how it can help improve symptoms of ADHD
5). Starting and managing the failsafe diet
6). Learn the seven strengths to help improve symptoms
7). Practical brain exercises to help children focus
8). Skills to effectively cope with ADHD
9). Secondary post traumatic stress disorder
10) Evaluating, monitoring and helping children with ADHD