Coaching, Mentoring & Consulting
Coaching, Mentoring & Consulting: This course is broken down into three parts. The first explores how coaching applies to the work setting. Properly used it can help reinvent an organization promoting superior performances from all employees. Strategies, techniques, approaches and perspectives are examined to help the student navigate the workplace whether they are either in a supervisor or a front-line role. The second part examines goals, roadblocks and creative thinking as part of the coaching process and relationship. Ways of gaining self-knowledge, taking action, giving feedback, gaining support, having influence and learning as part of the coach/client relationship are explored. The final part examines how counselor, therapist, coach or other helping professional can most effectively deal with colleagues, coworkers and other professionals as they bring their own experience, knowledge and background into a consulting relationship. Emphasis is on the ways and means of consulting in a way that gets heard and leads to action. Upon successful completion of this course, students are awarded 45 contact hours of continuing education credits. Course Code: LC 420
Prerequisite to enroll: applications must meet at least one of these position criteria to enter the Health Care Life Coach Program and enroll into this course: for Certification must meet one of these criteria: 1.) a registered nurse currently licensed to practice nursing, 2). a licensed social worker, 3). a health care licensed professional, 4). a health care provider with a minimum of an associate degree, 5). a licensed counselor or psychologist, 6). holds a bachelor's degree or higher in psychology, human services, or other health related field, 7). a licensed dietician, 8). a certified professional in holistic / integrative health care, 9). a health care educator, 10). a health care case manager, 11). a certified life coach.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. is a licensed Continuing Education Provider in the State of California, Board of Registered Nursing, Provider # CEP 15595
Instructor/Course Author: Thomas Schear, Ph.D
Link to Resume
TIME FRAME: You are allotted two years from the date of enrollment, to complete this course. There are no set time-frames, other than the two year allotted time. If you do not complete the course within the two-year time-frame, you will be removed from the course and an "incomplete" will be recorded for you in our records. Also, if you would like to complete the course after this two-year expiration time, you would need to register and pay the course tuition fee again.
TEXTBOOKS: There are three (3) textbooks for the course:
Masterful Coaching by Robert Hargrove ISBN-10: 0787960845
Techniques for Coaching & Mentoring by David Meggenson & Dave Clutterbuck ISBN-10: 075065287X
Flawless Consulting Fieldbook & Companion: A Guide to Understanding Your Expertise by Peter Block ISBN-10: 0787948047
AIHCP Online Bookstore: AIHCP provides an online bookstore stocked with all of the required textbooks, and/or materials required for its CE courses. To purchase this book online, click the access store link, go to the table of categories, right upper hand corner, and click on Health Care Life Coach. Access AIHCP Store: click here
GRADING: You must achieve a passing score of at least 70% to complete this course and receive the 45 hours of awarded continuing education credit. There are no letter grades assigned. You will receive notice of your total % score. Those who score below the minimum of 70% will be contacted by the instructor at American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. and options for completing additional course work to achieve a passing score will be presented.
ONLINE COMMUNITY MESSAGE BOARDS: Enrolled students have full access to our online Student Community Message Boards. These message boards allow students in our CE courses to meet each other, communicate online, share information, discuss topics of study and interest and much more. Full access is provided via the online classrooms.
Online Classroom Resources and Tools
* Message Boards: each specialty program has an area to "post" on the message board. Students may post messages at anytime. Posting allows students to converse with those in the same specialty practice and to discuss issues/course content etc. Instructions for posting are provided in the online classrooms.
* Chat Rooms: each specialty has it's own unique "chat room." Inside of the classroom there is a schedule for "chat time" with students in your specific specialty practice. Participating in "chats" is voluntary. The chat sessions are used as means for students to come together and discuss course content or anything related to the courses and/or certification specialty.
* Examination Access: there is link to take you right to the online examination program where you can print out your examination and work with it. All examinations are formatted as "open book" tests. When you are ready, you can access the exam program at anytime and click in your responses to the questions. Full information is provided in the online classrooms.
* Student Resource Center: there is a link for access to a web page "Student Resource Center." The Resource Center provides for easy access to all of our policies/procedures and additional information regarding applying for certification. We also have many links to many outside reference sites, such as online libraries that you may freely access.
* Online Evaluation: there is a link in the classroom where you may access the course evaluation. All students completing a course, must, without exception, complete the course evaluation.
* Faculty Access Information: you will have access to your instructor's online resume/biography, as well as your instructor's specific contact information.
* Additional Learning Materials: some faculty have prepared additional "readings" and /or brief lecture notes to enhance your experience. All of these are available in the online classrooms.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand coaching strategies used in work settings.
- Understand reinventing an organization to promote superior performance.
- Understand the development of and implementation of strategies in improving organizations through masterful coaching.
- Understand the establishment and management of the coaching/client relationship.
- Understand setting of goals, roadblocks and creative thinking.
- Understand how gaining self-knowledge, taking action, feedback, gaining support, influence and learning all play a part in the coaching/client relationship.
- Understand the role of the consultant in dealing with colleagues, coworkers and other professionals.
- Understand how to bring one’s experience, knowledge, background, etc. into the practice of consultation.
- Understand how to consult in a way that gets heard and implemented by consultees.