St. Teresa and the Interior Castle
AIHCP BLOG: Please visit our interactive web blog. Here you will find frequently added information on our programs, articles and news by practice speciality, and much more. Register and become a part of our professional health care community.
One of the richest spiritual and meditative classics of the Western Tradition is St. Teresa of Avila’s “Interior Castle”. This course hopes to guide one through the castle and its Seven Mansions. St. Teresa masterfully takes our hand and leads one through the initiate stages of mediation via purgation and eventually to illumination and union with God. This classic deals with a variety of ideals in the Christian tradition that deal with locutions, discernment, spiritual aridty, states of spiritual ecstasy, and ultimately union with God. If you are interested in meditation or spiritual guidance, this is a critical course to understand and pass. Course Code: MED 420. Contact hours of education = 30.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. is a licensed Continuing Education Provider in the State of California, Board of Registered Nursing, Provider # CEP 15595. Access Info
This course is approved for contact hours toward "Recertification" for the following programs: Meditation Instructor, Stress Management Consulting, Christian Spiritual Counseling, Spiritual Counseling.
TIME FRAME: You are allotted two years from the date of enrollment, to complete this course. There are no set time-frames, other than the two year allotted time. If you do not complete the course within the two-year time-frame, you will be removed from the course and an "incomplete" will be recorded for you in our records. Also, if you would like to complete the course after this two-year expiration time, you would need to register and pay the course tuition fee again.
Reading/Study Assignment: You are to ready/study all of the chapters in the required textbook.
There are also additional readings that are provided by the course instructor, which are required readings.
The Interior Castle, by: St. Teresa of Avila. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (August 21, 2012).
- ISBN-10: 1475146671
- ISBN-13: 978-1475146677
AIHCP Online Bookstore: AIHCP provides an online bookstore stocked with all of the required textbooks, and/or materials required for its CE courses. To purchase this book online, click the access store link, go to the table of categories, right upper hand corner, and click on "Meditation Instructor." Access AIHCP Store: click here
GRADING: You must achieve a passing score of at least 70% to complete this course and receive the hours of awarded continuing education credit. There are no letter grades assigned. You will receive notice of your total % score. Those who score below the minimum of 70% will be contacted by the and options for completing additional course work to achieve a passing score, will be presented.
Online Classroom Resources and Tools
* Message Boards: each specialty program has an area to "post" on the message board. Students may post messages at anytime. Posting allows students to converse with those in the same specialty practice and to discuss issues/course content etc. Instructions for posting are provided in the online classrooms.
* Chat Rooms: each specialty has it's own unique "chat room." Inside of the classroom there is a schedule for "chat time" with students in your specific specialty practice. Participating in "chats" is voluntary. The chat sessions are used as means for students to come together and discuss course content or anything related to the courses and/or certification specialty.
* Examination Access: there is link to take you right to the online examination program where you can print out your examination and work with it. All examinations are formatted as "open book" tests. When you are ready, you can access the exam program at anytime and click in your responses to the questions. Full information is provided in the online classrooms.
* Student Resource Center: there is a link for access to a web page "Student Resource Center." The Resource Center provides for easy access to all of our policies/procedures and additional information regarding applying for certification. We also have many links to many outside reference sites, such as online libraries that you may freely access.
* Online Evaluation: there is a link in the classroom where you may access the course evaluation. All students completing a course, must, without exception, complete the course evaluation.
* Faculty Access Information: you will have access to your instructor's online resume/biography, as well as your instructor's specific contact information.
* Additional Learning Materials: some faculty have prepared additional "readings" and /or brief lecture notes to enhance your experience. All of these are available in the online classrooms.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
To understand the differences between Eastern and Western Tradition, especially as seen by St. Teresa of Avila
To distinguish between Christian Union with God and Eastern Union
To know the Seven Mansions of St. Teresa’s “Interior Castle of the Soul” and how they relate to spirituality
To identify the Purgative, illuminative and Unitive states in Christian Meditation
To be able to help others discern the source and validity of various locutions and spiritual states
To be able to counsel others through states of spiritual aridity and help them find solace
To describe the three states prior to Christian Union with God
To apply the teachings of St. Teresa to one’s own spiritual life
Abstract of Course Content: