The American Academy of Case Management
"Dedicated to Continued Learning, Growth, and Achievement in Health Care Practice"
AIHCP BLOG: Please visit our interactive web blog. Here you will find frequently added information on our programs, articles and news by practice speciality, and much more. Register and become a part of our professional health care community.
CRITERIA FOR CONTINUED STATUS OF FELLOWSHIP
Continued status of Fellowship can be accomplished in one of two ways:
Take and successfully complete the Case Management Fellowship Credentialing Examination and the Managed Care Course offered by AACM
- Continuation of status with Continuing Education Hours and validation of practice experience in Case Management
- See FAQS for Recertification
Continued Fellowship Status by Examination
Fellows in the AACM may elect this option for continuation of fellowship status. An application for Fellowship must be completed. Candidates will secure an examination proctor in their geographic area. Full instructions for scheduling the examination are provided upon receipt of the application. The fee for the examination and managed care course is $ 200.00. Continued status of Fellowship is for an additional four year period.
Continued Status by Continuing Education Hours and Practice Validation
Fellows in the AACM may elect this option for continued status of Fellowship. An application for continued status by continuing education hours and practice validation must be completed. Information required on the application must be completed in full. The fee for application for continued status by continuing education hours and practice validation is $ 200.00. Continued status of Fellowship is for an additional four year period.
Criteria for Continued Status of Fellowship by Continuing Education Hours and practice validation
- Candidates must have acquired evidence of 60 contact hours (1 contact hour = 50 minutes of study/lecture/learning activity. Contact hours must have been acquired within the four year period of active Fellowship status by the American Academy of Case Management.
- Continuing Education contact hours must be acquired accordingly: 50% of hours must be directly related to Case Management, and 50% of hours may be related to the candidates particular professional licensure/practice.
- Candidates must have practiced Case Management for at least 2,500 hours of practice within the four year period of active Fellowship.
For recertification candidates who do not meet the hours of practice requirement, you may still recertify in your specialty if you submit evidence of double the hours of continuing education contact hours required in the four year period since your last certification or recertification date. So, you would need to submit evidence of at least 100 contact hours of continuing education with 50% of those contact hours being related to your practice specialty.
- Applicants must submit copies of continuing education hour certificates or other verifications. However, the American Academy of Case Management will conduct an audit in which randomly selected members will be required to submit original copies of such evidence/validation of awarded continuing education. Twenty-five (25) percent of those recertifying, per year, will be randomly selected to submit original copies of education awards.
- The American Academy of Case Management has approved the following types of programs/offerings for continuance of Fellowship status by continuing education hours:
- Continuing Education Courses
- College Courses, on campus, online, distance education
- Independent Study Courses
- Publication in a peer reviewed journal
- Acting as a clinical proctor for new case managers
- Presenter/Lecturer of a workshop, seminar or continuing education course
- Instructor for a college level course
- Submission of an approved thesis/dissertation related to Case Management
- Serving on a hospital or organizational committee for Case Management Services
- Developing and submitting questions for the Case Management Fellowship Credentialing Examination.
- One college semester hour credit = 15 contact hours of continuing education
- One published article in a peer reviewed journal is equal to 25 contact hours of continuing education
- Continuing Education credits for presenters/lectures/college faculty will be awarded for the actual number of hours of their presentation or college semester hour course. Credit is given one time, no matter how many times the applicant has conducted the lecture/presentation/course.
- Continuing Education hours do not include: first aid, CPR, Advanced Life Support, hospital orientation, job orientation, product training's or non-education meetings.
- Thesis/dissertations must be from an established college/university. The topic must be directly related to Case Management. The thesis/dissertation must have been approved by the academic institution's faculty/committee and must have been written sometime within the four year period that the candidate was a Fellow in the American Academy of Case Management.
- Candidates who are applying for hours for committee work on a Case Management related committee can be awarded 5 contact hours for each year of committee participation. Participation must have been during the four year period that the candidate was a Fellow in the American Academy of Case Management.
- Candidates may submit developed questions for use on the Case Management Fellowship Credentialing Examination. For questions that are approved for use, the candidate will receive 1 hour of credit for each 10 questions that are approved and selected for use. For each one hour of credit awarded, 10 submitted questions must be approved. Candidates will receive a certificate from the Academy verifying award of credit(s). Candidates interested in this option should ask for an information packet for test question development.
- Candidates may submit an application for continuation of Fellowship status up to 60 days prior to their date of expiration.
- Candidates are given a six month "grace" period to apply for continued status of Fellowship. If the candidate does not apply during the six month "grace" period (grace period begins on the day of expiration of Fellowship status) then the candidate will need to reapply and take the Fellowship Credentialing Examination and the Managed Care Course.
Printable Application for Fellowship Recertification
- Access Here
- Courses for Recertification
- Call for Course Authors/Instructors
- Online Resources
Questions/Inquires can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Criteria as established and approved by the Advisory Board of the American Academy of Case Management (2005).
Updated: February 2010