WANDA G. ALI-MATLOCK mA, BS, RN, FAACM
Director of Clinical Services ~ Nurse Educator ~ Director of Quality Service, Case Management & Utilization Management
Dynamic leader with a wealth of experience driving corporate and territory initiatives for networked health care facilities and hospitals in acute rehab, long-term care, and skilled nursing environments. Successful track record in all aspects of nursing administration, including strategic planning, clinical care delivery, policy/procedure formulation, program development, quality assurance, utilization management, and regulatory compliance. Championed development of innovative processes and systems that saved thousands of dollars in annual operating costs and consistently improved quality of care, efficiency and staff effectiveness. Excellent communicator with proven ability to build and maintain effective relationships across all levels of an organization to assure achievement of strategic goals. Strong organizational, customer service, and analytical problem solving skills. Proficient in MS Office, Lotus Notes, Epic, InterQual, Milliman and Health Connect software.
- Strategic Planning. Supported and participated in the development of clinical practice strategies at all levels to positively impact financial and clinical performance, optimize care delivery, and improve organizational value.
- Operations Management. Assessed, planned, and coordinated nursing care to patients within 35 contracted facilities and hospitals across a six-county Ohio territory.
- Policy/Procedures. Wrote policies and procedures to ensure delivery of integrated health services with the highest standards.
- Budgeting/Finance. Administered annual operating budgets up to $3.5M, prepared financial statements, and developed financial/statistical reports.
- Quality Assurance. Implemented quality measurement systems and tools to ensure exceptional performance throughout the network.
- Staffing. Set and maintained optimum staffing levels, administered training to new employees and led implementation of employee development and incentive programs to improve staff productivity and retention.
- Accreditation & Compliance. Established and monitored continuous compliance programs to secure and maintain facility accreditation and assure adherence to applicable healthcare standards and regulations.
- Public Relations. Collaborated with private partners, stakeholders, elected officials, and community professionals to advance the strategy and goals of the organization.
- Sales & Marketing. Developed marketing plans, managed advertising programs, and negotiated healthcare service contracts with vendors, hospitals, and government agencies.
Healthcare Consultant/ Business Owner, WAM’s HEALTHCARE CONSULTANT, Cleveland, OH (6/10- present)
Business exist to provide healthcare education to individuals and the community. Ownership requires responsibility for accounting, marketing and management within all phases of the operation.
Inpatient and SNF Coordinator Team Lead/Case Management, KAISER PERMANENTE, Cleveland, OH, (10/97 to 2/10)
Oversee quality control, compliance, case management, discharge planning, supplies/equipment utilization, and benefits administration. Train, schedule and supervise the activities of 8 – 13 nurses. Participate in nursing committees and act as clinical resource, resident advocate and clinical role model to staff..
Summary of key achievements:
- Inpatient / SNF Facility Team Lead, (2009 to 2/10) – 6 contracted hospitals, 5 Acute Rehab facilities, 5 Long Term Acute Care facilities, and 14 Skilled Nursing facilities.
- Improved and maintained patient care satisfaction scores above 98%.
- Established a complex case management program to increase awareness of high acuity/high cost patients and form interdisciplinary team approach to managing health care costs.
Inpatient and SNF Care Coordinator Team Lead/Case Management, KAISER PERMANENTE, (experience continued)
- Set up Transition of Care program in collaboration with IT and project manager with all 3 hospitals and SNF facilities.
- Developed and implemented CHF clinic program in partnership with physician team and executive support.
- Partnered with home care team to create a protocol and procedure to ensure safe process for complex patient discharges, resulting in 100% of members receiving home care within 24 hours of release.
- Received Longevity Appreciation Award for contributions.
SNF Care Coordinator/ Case Management Team Leader, for 5 LTACs, 16 SNFs, and 5 Acute Rehab facilities.
- Developed an orientation manual and policy/procedure manual for the department.
- Maintained patient satisfaction scores above 90%.
- Decreased patient return to hospital by 3%
Previous administrative positions with Kaiser
Call Center Support Supervisor and Trainer, (7/97-10/97)
Call Center Migration Team Support, (5/97- 7/97)
Internal Medicine Nurse Manager, (3/96-5/97)
Nurse Administrator, CLEVELAND NEIGHBORHOOD HEALTH SERVICES, INC., Cleveland, OH, (10/87 to 12/89) Provided leadership and oversight for nursing services in a managed care and fee for service environment. Managed staff and community development. Maintained legal and ethical standards to reduce risks and ensure patient safety. Partnered with medical director and business director on re-accreditation issues.
Worker’s Compensation Case Manager UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL COMPCARE, Cleveland, OH (6/10- present)
Nurse Clinic Staff Nurse, KAISER PERMANENTE, Cleveland, OH, (10/95-3/96)
ER Telephone Advice Nurse, KAISER PERMANENTE, Cleveland, OH, (10/94-10/95)
ER Room Staff Nurse, KAISER PERMANENTE, Cleveland, OH, (4/93 to 10/94)
Nurse Consultant, HAND AND HAND HEALTH CARE, Cleveland, OH, (6/95 to 9/96)
Staff Nurse / Charge Nurse, METRO HEALTH CENTER FOR SKILLED CARE, Cleveland, OH, (2/89 to 10/2000)
Provided shift supervision and care delivery to an adult patient population on a 32 bed rehab and sub acute unit. Responsible for
staff assignment, development and implementation of patient care plans and utilizing an inter-disciplinary team approach to
help patients reach their goals for discharge. Direct shift involvement for the clinical assessments, patient and family education,
and discharge planning of patients on the unit.
Adjunct Faculty, BRYANT & STRATTON COLLEGE Parma, OH, (9/08 to Present)
Successfully taught office management/administration and classroom instructor for graduating internship students within the Medical Assistance Program.
Adjunct Faculty, SANFORD BROWN COLLEGE Middleburg Heights, OH, (10/05 to 6/10)
Successfully taught anatomy and physiology, office management, communication, human relations/professional relationship computer application and clinical laboratory.
Medical Asst. Instructor, CLEVELAND INST. OF MEDICAL & DENTAL ASSTS., Mayfield Heights, OH, (1987)
Master of Business Management – DAVID N. MYERS UNIVERSITY, Cleveland, OH
Bachelor of Health Care Management, (Summa cum Laude), DAVID N. MYERS UNIVERSITY, Cleveland, OH,
Diploma of Nursing, CLEVELAND METRO GENERAL HOSPITAL, SCHOOL OF NURSING, Cleveland, OH
Fellowship American Academy of Case Management—AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS, Warren, OH
Licensed Registered Nurse, state of Ohio (unrestricted license)
North East Ohio Case Management Network
Ohio Association of Healthcare Quality
National Association of Healthcare Quality
Chancellor University Advisory Council