CRISIS INTERVENTION COUNSELING
- Request Information
- Certification Program: Courses and Prices
- Online Application
- Code of Ethics for Certified Members
- Criteria for Recertification
- Online Resource Board
- Contact Information
- Call for Course Authors/Instructors
AIHCP BLOG: Please visit our interactive web blog. Here you will find frequently added information on our programs, articles and news by practice speciality, and much more. Register and become a part of our professional health care community.
Have questions? Join us on "live chat" online now! One of our advisors will be happy to assist you and respond to your questions: Access Now
CRISIS INTERVENTION COUNSELING BLOG: Please visit our Crisis Intervention Counseling interactive web blog. Our blog contains articles, news, events and information related the Crisis Intervention Counseling field.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. offers a comprehensive, quality, Crisis Intervention Certification program for qualified professionals including, physicians, nurses, counselors, social workers, and other professional providers in "Crisis Intervention Counseling."
objectives of the Crisis intervention counseling Certification Program are:
Provide a high quality program of Certification for professionals practicing crisis intervention and crisis counseling through crisis intervention courses.
Develop and support high standards of education and practice requirements for the attainment of the crisis intervention certification.
Provide a mechanism for the ongoing involvement of a peer advisory board of qualified professionals to oversee program development and requirements for certification.
Provide society with a mechanism to ascertain the appropriate education, skills, knowledge and experience required by professionals who offer such services.
Establish quality standards and requirements for the recertification of its credentialed members, attesting to ongoing education and skill attainment in the practice specialty of crisis intervention and crisis counseling.
Provide a comprehensive program of approvals for continuing education, seminars, offerings, independent study, and other related educational activities, to ensure high quality standards are met and that such programs are of value to professionals practicing crisis intervention and crisis counseling.
Certified Crisis Intervention Counselor- requires attainment and/or verification of one of the following certification criteria:
- Completion of an official, established education program to prepare individuals for the practice of Crisis Intervention Counseling. Educational programs must have provided a minimum of 275 hours of lecture/study in crisis intervention courses. Candidates for certification must present valid evidence of successful completion of such program. The AIHCP review board will review and approve programs on an individual basis. Once a program is approved, it will be published as "approved" by the AIHCP. Programs submitted for approval consideration must have their curriculums specifically based in Crisis Intervention Counseling. To view approved programs and courses, click here. Candidates whose can demonstrate evidence of successful completion of such programs within a five (5) year period prior to the date of application for certification, are eligible to apply for and be considered for certification as a Crisis Intervention Counselor. Such programs may include university and college based courses, continuing education seminars, retreats, self-study and distance learning programs, etc.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc, offers a full program of continuing education courses in Crisis Intervention Counseling and Consulting. Completion of these courses qualifies the educational component necessary to apply for Certification. See Full Program: Access here.
- Evidence of other combined hours of education. Combined hours may be used that were awarded for education received at seminars, colleges and universities, distance education,courses in crisis prevention intervention certification online, etc. Credits considered toward certification must have been awarded within the past four years from the date of application.
Requisite for all Applicants for Certification: in addition to one of the following met educational criteria as provided above, applicants for Certification must meet one of these criteria: 1.) a registered nurse currently licensed to practice nursing, 2). a licensed social worker, 3). a health care licensed professional, 4). a health care provider with a minimum of an associate degree, 5). a licensed counselor or psychologist, 6). holds a bachelor's degree or higher in psychology, human services, or other health related field, 7). is in current practice as an ordained minister/clergy, or 8). is currently practicing as a crisis counselor, 9.) currently employed in criminal justice or fire sciences, 10). a certified or licensed emergency medical technician, or 11). currently employed in disaster response or disaster relief.
Certification- Identification & Credentials
Those applicants who become certified by the AIHCP in Crisis Intervention Counseling may use the initials/credential CIC-CSp., after their names:
"Crisis Intervention Counselor-Certified Specialist"
All certifications shall be for a period of 4 years from the date that the initial certification
POLICIES OF THE AIHCP, INC: access here
THE CERTIFICATION PROCESS: We have a dedicated page that provides a quick over-view of our certification process. It will provide you with good information about the process/phases of both the education courses and application for certification. To access: click here
Certified members may receive recertification at the expiration of their four year term by:
- Obtaining 50 or more hours of continuing education within the four year period of certification. Click here: Criteria for Recertification
Those applicants who have successfully achieved certification or recertification receive a large size official Certificate attesting to certification, as well as an official letter of notification. The certificate is suitable for framing and details the official professional certification title, initials that may be used, and time frames for certification. Those recertifying receive a new, updated certificate. Wallet size identification cards of certification are also presented.
- The certification fee for Crisis Intervention Counseling is $ 200.00 for the four year term of certification. Payment in full is due at the time of application. If an applicant does not meet certification criteria, the application fee is refunded. A completed application must be mailed in to the with full payment to be considered for certification. Application is available on this website.
- Application for Recertification is $ 200.00 for the next four year period. This is a one time payment and is required in full at the time of application for recertification. A completed application must accompany the payment.
- Major credit cards are accepted. Check and money orders are to be payable to : The American Institute of Healthcare Professionals.
Education Programs for Recertification
Applicants may obtain education hours by completion of any type of formal program in specifically related to Crisis Intervention. Such programs include:
- University/College Programs and Courses
- Continuing Education Courses
- Distance Learning Programs
- Self-Study Programs
- Courses offered by Professional Associations
- Crisis prevention intervention certification online
The AIHCP reserves the right to approve all such courses for consideration toward re-certification. For any courses to be considered, applicants must submit copies of all certificates of completion or transcripts verifying completion. Applicants who are using their degrees to meet partial fulfillment of the education requirements for certification must have official transcripts submitted from their University or College, directly to the AIHCP.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, provides a "Fellowship Program" for its certified members in Crisis Intervention Counseling. Access Information.
- Click here to view education programs that are approved by the AIHCP for Certification
- Click here to request more information
Click here for the online application. Please print application and postal mail.
Updated: February 2010